PAC Interview: Rob Ulitski

 

In the second of my interviews with members of the Portsmouth Authors Collective I talk to the filmmaker and horror writer Rob Ulitski.

Author Bio: Rob writes visceral, concept-driven horror stories, anchored by complex characters and offbeat narratives. Having trained in filmmaking, and working as a director and producer on everything from music videos to shorts to feature-length anthology films, Rob’s official writing journey started in 2020. When not writing, he can be found watching cheesy 90’s films, baking cakes and haunting local bookstores.

~

Loree: I’ve only met you once—at the launch of Fleshed Out, your collection of body horror short stories (congratulations, by the way)—so perhaps you can tell us a bit more about yourself. Where are you from, what kind of dog do you have…that sort of thing. Oh yeah—and you also make films. Tell us about that, too.

Rob: Thank you so much! I’m from Portsmouth, studied at the University for the Creative Arts in Farnham and then spent a year in London, before moving back here. Filmmaking was my first passion, I’ve loved horror since I was about ten years old, and my driving goal in life has always been to create horror projects. Initially, this was just through filmmaking, but it’s now grown to fiction too. Aside from that, I love baking, photography and walking.

Loree: So—body horror. What’s that about? You seem like a pretty mild-mannered kind of guy, but clearly there’s a lot of weird stuff going on beneath the surface. Perhaps you can start out with a definition. What exactly is body horror?

Rob: So, I’d define body horror at its simplest form as a range of defects that happen to the body—be it disease, destruction or mutation. I think the actual scope of body horror is quite wide, but that’s certainly a starting point. I’ve always been interested in body horror, probably because I’ve struggled with health anxieties in the past, and it’s a way of facing that fear, and in a strange way, a form of catharsis.

Loree: Okay, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. What draws you to this particular sub-genre of the long-respected field of horror writing? Feel free to tell us your darkest secrets. We’re all friends, here.  

Rob: Of all of the forms of horror, I find body horror the scariest. If you think about it, we are all trapped within our bodies, and there is very little we can do if they get harmed or altered in any way. The fact that we can’t run away from or escape these scenarios is a form of primal fear, and not only can I create some really horrific concepts from these, but it’s much easier to create empathy for a character if they’re going through such an ordeal. 

Loree: Ever freak yourself out?

Rob:  If I get freaked out by the first spark of an idea, that’s how I know it’s a good one. I just have to make sure I carry that fear through to the final story, and if it’s still there once I’ve shaped it, I think my work is done!

Loree:  At your book launch, I believe you said your favourite story in the collection is ‘Carnage’. Can you give us a synopsis and say more about why that story has a particular importance for you?

Rob: Sure thing. I’m actually going to borrow the synopsis that one reviewer on Goodreads wrote, as I think it sums it up perfectly. Lezlie The Nerdy Narrative says: 

Carnage is Speed meets The Blob if it were directed by Michael Bay. Morgan finds himself in a situation that many of us will sadly relate to: his girlfriend admits to cheating on him…with his brother. Fuelled by rage, explosive anger and deadly intent, Morgan starts a chain of events that leads to unimaginable horrors that have long lasting repercussions.

‘Carnage’ is just pure anger instilled into a story. My work is usually quite nuanced, the characters all live in the grey area of right vs wrong, so writing this story allowed me to just go full throttle descent into rage. It was my favourite writing experience to date, and arguably the most cinematic story of this collection (though it would probably be that B-movie you’d find on VHS at the back of the video store back in the 80’s).

Loree: Who are your favourite writers, and what have they taught you about story writing?

Rob: My favourite writers are Junji Ito (who creates a lot of body horror manga) and Koji Suzuki, who wrote The Ring (which was later adapted into Ringu in Japan, and The Ring in the US in 2002). Ito taught me about the nuance of body horror and character, and the uncanny nature of the subgenre. Suzuki taught me patience with how a story should unfold—I’ve always been a get in and get it done kind of writer, yet Suzuki is excellent at drawing out dramatic situations, and allowing the horror to come from a slow build, so it’s really helped me get a little more patient.

Loree: Did you study prose story writing at all when you were at university, or were you focused solely on film?

Rob: I haven’t had any formal training in writing fiction in an educational setting. However, I have worked extensively with my mentor and friend Alex Davis, who is a brilliant author and teacher in his own right. When I was writing Fleshed Out, we had weekly review sessions, and I owe a huge amount to him for really helping get me ready to write in this format.

Loree: What does the writing process look like for you? Do the stories arrive fully formed, or do they take time to develop? Do you test your writing out on beta readers or workshop partners?

Rob: I usually get a scene, or a vignette. With ‘Crystalline’, it was a woman who had crystals in her face, and popped them out like acne. From there, I try and give it context—e.g. why is this happening to this character at this time?—and then build the story from there. This is my first release, so I haven’t use beta readers per se, but Alex (mentioned above) and my sister read my drafts at different stages, so they were very much integral to the process.

Loree: You’re from the mean streets of Portsmouth, I believe. Has the city influenced your writing at all?

Rob: That’s right! I wouldn’t say the city has influenced my writing as such, but I do find a parallel between Portsmouth and the settings of stories I’m really drawn to, such as The Ring – wet, somewhat isolated and crawling with interesting characters. 

Loree: The collection is self-published—is that right? What was the experience like?

Rob: That’s right! For me, there wasn’t really another viable option, as it’s my first release, and I’m not sure I would have gone for a publishing deal even if it had somehow been offered. For me, self-publishing means I get to stay in control of the marketing and every aspect of the process. Aside from the actual writing, it was important to me that I got to commission and lead the design of the cover and the book, the launch plan, the merch etc, as the book was just one part of the overall release plan. So whilst it was definitely a learning experience, I am committed to being self-published now, and slotting it within a wider horror ecosystem as I move forward.


Loree: Merch? You have merch!? Now I am impressed.

Film making has formed a big part of your career. Any plans to make films of your stories?

Rob: It has, I started working on film sets when I was 13, and it’s always been my main passion. The big problem, as with every other filmmaker I know, is getting the money to fund projects that are of a good enough quality to represent you as a filmmaker. Exploring fiction has been very freeing in terms of writing ideas that are big, bold and unabashed, and that has been one of the highlights of the journey for me. I was looking at adapting ‘Crystalline’ into a feature, initially, but realised it works best as a short story. So I am now considering packaging it as an anthology project for streaming. We’ll see how that develops!

Loree: Have you had any particular surprises along the way?

Rob: I think quite honestly, the biggest surprise is just the fact that I can do it. I’ve always had a knack for visuals, and for scriptwriting, but both processes are entirely different beasts. At the start of this journey, I wasn’t sure that I would be able to tackle fiction in a way that would translate well to a reader, but I’ve now gained so much confidence with my writing, that I can’t wait to write another one!

Loree: What’s next?

Rob: I’ve just finished outlining my next project, a novella that explores body horror and technology, which I’m really excited about. I’ve also just finished the first draft of a feature film script, and am launching my horror production company at the end of January. So plenty to keep me busy!

Find Out More About Rob


Website: RobWritesHorror

RobWritesHorror on Instagram

TikTok

Twitter: @robulitski

Buy the Book: Fleshed Out

*

Loree Westron is the author of Missing WordsShe has an MA and a PhD in Creative Writing, and is the founder of the Portsmouth Authors Collective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering historical research on William Clark's Nez Perce son

A Detailed Synopsis of James Welch’s Fools Crow

A Discussion of Sherman Alexie's novel, Indian Killer