PAC Interview: Tina MacNaughton

 

The Portsmouth Authors Collective seeks to put the spotlight on local talent who live in or take inspiration from the city and its surrounding areas. Today’s interview is with the poet and debut novelist Tina Cathleen MacNaughton.

 

Author Bio:

Tina Cathleen MacNaughton has written and published four books: a collection of poetry entitled On the Shoulders of Lions (The Choir Press, 2021); two children’s books, When the Elves Rescued Christmas and Santa’s Still Asleep (WriteRhymes, 2020 and 2021), and a novel with a 1980s music background Delphy Rose – the Girl Who Wrote Songs (Troubador).

~


Loree: Welcome to my blog, Tina. And thanks for agreeing to be interviewed. Every time I scroll through Facebook, lately, I see that another of your poems has been accepted for publication. What is your biggest achievement to date?

Tina: Finishing and publishing my novel Delphy Rose. It was my dream to publish a novel before I was fifty. I am eight years late, but what the hell, I did it!

Loree: Has writing always been a part of your life? When did you start? And what was the first piece of your writing that was published?

Tina: I have written on and off throughout my life. First piece was a letter to The Portsmouth Evening News ‘Chipper Club Page’, telling everyone about my eighth birthday. I won a badge and I can still remember the thrill of seeing my letter in print. Inspired, I sent off a poem about trees which was published in The News a couple months later. I didn’t submit anywhere after that for about twenty years, though.

Loree: Other people I’ve spoken to about publishing short stories have described it as a numbers game. If you submit one story, chances are it won’t be accepted. But if you submit 100 stories, chances are good that some of them will be. Is that what you’ve found with getting your poetry published?


Tina:
Not at all. I don’t think it works like that. I do not submit frequently or widely or for the sake of it. I don’t have a lot of spare time for submissions, so I choose very carefully and make good use of my time. If I know I already have a suitable piece, or am particularly inspired, I will probably give it a go. I would advocate ‘quality over quantity’. There is also an element of luck and timing. I don’t waste time on a theme or competition that I am not particularly interested in and tend to stick to what I am good at.

Loree: I’ve been reading a lot of George Saunders’ posts exploring the writing process. It’s a mysterious topic, and perhaps not one that a writer wants to think about too deeply, but perhaps you can share something about the technicalities of your process for writing poetry. Do you, for instance ‘write big’ in the first draft, then edit down (or even edit up) and refine over a series of drafts?  Do you have a set schedule and write every day, or do you wait for inspiration?

Tina: I don’t have a set schedule, but I write as and when I feel like it. I guess I wait until I am inspired or just feel the need to write something. I go for periods when I’m not writing, for example, when I’m particularly busy with my family or my acupuncture clinic. But then I really miss it and need to sit down and write something. I do write ‘big’ yes, in the first draft. I’m not a big planner in my writing and was never academically, either. I tend to just go for it, and only start structuring and planning when I’m in the middle, and have quite a bit down on paper or on screen. I think I would find a blank page too scary, so I just dive in before I lose my nerve!

Loree: Your website says you take commissions, writing poems for anniversaries and other special events. That seems quite a task! How does that process differ from that for the poems you feel inspired to write?

Tina: It’s not that hard really. I’ll be given quite a few details to tell the ‘story’, so I just piece it all together in a rhythmic, rhyming scheme. They make a very special, personal gift and people love them. It’s nice to think that my poems are part of significant occasions, such as weddings and funerals. My own poems come from my imagination, or some kind of inspiration, so the process is far less structured and more sporadic. I enjoy both kinds of writing. I also have a contract to write poetry with The People’s Friend and these poems are very different from my other work. I get paid for the commissioned pieces which is rather nice!

Loree: And now you’ve just published your debut novel Delphy Rose – The Girl Who Wrote Songs. Congratulations! That’s a big achievement. What’s it about?

Tina: Delphy Rose is the story of a young, working-class girl growing up in the fictional seaside town of Cowlington, in Thatcher’s Britain. The novel has a dual narrative, swinging between her younger, student years gigging with a local alternative band, The Thistles, and her later years when she reconnects with Ben, the former bass player of the band. Many chapters begin with a song or poem, reflecting Delphy’s singer/songwriting background. I wrote the lyrics myself, and they chart her emotional journey as she seeks to escape an increasingly toxic relationship. I do like a happy ending, so there is a reconciliation of kinds, but not in a traditional ‘romcom’ sense.

Loree: Have you always written fiction as well as poetry, or was the novel an entirely new literary endeavour?

Tina:  I write short stories and flash fiction, too, but I’ve always wanted to write a novel. I’ve written two previous novels and a collection of stories, but they’ve been shelved. I wasn’t happy with them. I adore reading novels and devour them, but I prefer writing poetry. I think of myself as a poet, rather than a novelist, and this will be my one and only novel.

Loree: Would you say that the process of fiction writing differs markedly from writing poetry?

Tina:  I like the short-term project process of writing poetry – well, my poetry anyway! I know some people spend months and months perfecting a poem, but I write them quickly. I do edit and ‘play’ with them, but I like the fact that if they come to nothing, then I have not wasted too much time on them! Coming to the middle of a novel and realising it is going nowhere is very disheartening!

Loree: When you wrote Delphy Rose, did you have a clear sense of the plot when you started out, or did you let the story take you where it wanted to go?

Tina: I knew I wanted to write a novel with a 1980s music background and I knew the central character would be a girl called Delphy. Delphy is the name of my paternal grandmother’s sister and I always liked it. Similarly, if I’d had a daughter, her middle name would have been Rose. I wanted to use a dual time frame and I like novelists, such as Elizabeth Strout, whose chapters often stand as short stories on their own, but which have linking threads and a central connecting character. Once I got down to it, yes! Delphy did have a bit of a mind of her own. I hadn’t intended to write in the first-person, but she would not let me switch to third-person, even though I tried! I wasn’t sure about writing in the first-person, as I didn’t want the reader to think it is a true, or my story. It’s not – but I quite like the personal, memoir style that the first-person gives.

Loree: I started out writing short stories—which need to have a very narrow focus. That made the transition into longer forms of story writing a big challenge for me: juggling numerous characters and events, and that huge narrative arc. Were there any particular challenges you faced when writing Delphy Rose?

Tina: I found Delphy Rose fairly easy to write and I wrote it very quickly in just a few months. The challenge was editing, editing, editing and remembering who played what, and who went out with who, and who had fallen out with who. I very much enjoyed writing the colourful characters in the Greek chorus such as Big Trev and horrendous Dirty Joe. Great fun!

Loree: Who are the writers who inspire you and what have you learned from them?

Tina: I’ve already mentioned Elizabeth Strout. I also like the Canadian writer Carol Shields. My favourite novel is A Colour Purple by Alice Walker. A novel I read, and loved, recently is My Coney Island Baby, an unusual novel by Irish writer Billy O’Callaghan. Read it and weep. I also really like Colm Toibin, another Irish writer. I love his economic use of diction and sparse, really well-structed sentences. Nothing is wasted, and I often re-read his sentences several times, because they are so perfectly crafted. I don’t generally like overly ‘wordy’ novelists who use too many adjectives for my liking. I suppose my style is based on what I enjoy as a reader.

Loree: Are you working on anything at the moment that you can tell us about?

Tina: I’m currently promoting Delphy Rose and doing the odd submission. I need a rest really, so will be doing lots of reading. I find this is a good way to improve my future writing and gain some stimulation.

Loree: What advice would you give to people just starting out?

Tina: A good musician friend once told me to forget about making money, or being famous, and to just create for the sake of creating. I think that is pretty good advice. Stop trying to be as good as your favourite writers. Be yourself, and write for your own enjoyment and satisfaction. That’s my addition to her advice.

Loree: Thank you, Tina. I think that’s great advice. And thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule for a chat.

Find out More About Tina

Tina’s books can be purchased at PAC events, from Pigeon Books (Southsea), The Book Shop (Lee-on-the-Solent), Amazon, or directly from author. Delphy Rose can also be purchased from Troubador.

WriteRhymes

Portsmouth Authors Collective


*
Loree Westron is the author of Missing WordsShe has an MA and a PhD in Creative Writing, and is the founder of the Portsmouth Authors Collective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering historical research on William Clark's Nez Perce son

A Detailed Synopsis of James Welch’s Fools Crow

The Significance of Landscape in Literature of the American West