Interview: Loree Westron, Author of Missing Words

 

After my interview with Fairlight Books author, Douglas Bruton, discussing his latest publication, Blue Postcards, and his approach to writing, he turned the tables on me and posed some questions of his own. Here, we continue our discussing about reading, writing, and my literary novella, MissingWords, which will be published on 5th August.

~

Douglas:  I tried writing in my teens and then again at university – nothing I wrote was worth the ink. It was not until I got a computer (aged thirty) that I found a way to write that worked. When did you know you could write and that it was something you wanted to do?

Loree:  I remember dreaming up stories a lot when I was a kid. I’m an only child, and spent a lot of time entertaining myself. I know that I wanted to be a writer long before I ever wrote anything down on paper. In that way, I think I was very typical of a lot of the students I’ve worked with who want to write, but don’t yet have the tools to do so. I did English and Creative Writing as my first degree in the States, and remember that I began a lot of stories that never seemed to get finished. I dropped out of university just before my final year, so I didn’t finish the degree, either – which says a lot about my general lack of focus back then. I did quite a bit of travel writing in my twenties, publishing articles in newspapers and magazines, but it wasn’t until I did my MA, at the University of Chichester, that I really began to knuckle down and put in the time. I would have been in my late thirties then.

Douglas:  When I wrote my very first short story, I sent it into a competition and came first. I thought I’d made it. What would you say was your first writing success?

Loree:  It was probably the first time I saw my name in the byline of a magazine for a travel article I’d written about cycling to Nordkapp. At the time, I thought I was going to be the next Dervla Murphy, but my travels were never quite as adventurous as hers. As far as fiction goes, I’ve had a number of stories shortlisted in competitions, and a few that have come second or third, but none – sadly – that has come first. One of the short stories I wrote for my MA came second in the VS Pritchett Memorial Prize, now called the VS Pritchett Short Story Prize, and was published in quite a prestigious literary journal. That was probably my first real experience of writing success. There was a party in London, with champagne and lots of literary types. 

Douglas:  I once embarked on a crazy writing regime, a flash fiction a day until I had 1000 stories (in just under three years). I was still doing other stuff: teaching, writing short stories and novels, but the flash fiction stuff was a way of putting in the hours of work that it can take to become a better writer. What would you say has helped you be a good writer? (In anticipation of you playing the modesty card, here, I define ‘good writer’ as being good enough to be published.)

Loree:  Reading has certainly been a factor. Anyone who wants to write seriously, has to read – both for pleasure and as a student of writing. Reading helps a person to develop a sense of what works in a story and what doesn’t. Workshopping with other writers has also helped me to hone a critical eye when looking at my own work. Teaching has done that, too. There’s also an element of stubbornness in my writing process. If I have a sense that a story is good, I’ll keep coming back to it – sometimes over a period of years – redrafting and chipping away at it.  

Douglas:  I used to have a writing shed and now I have a study; but in the end I learned that all I need is time to be by myself and an idea. Do you have a writing place and a writing process, and how rigidly do you keep to this if you do?

Loree:  To write properly, I need to have separation between me and the rest of the world. I can’t write in a café or a classroom. Nothing more than notes and character sketches, anyway. I’m too easily distracted. Hemingway had a catwalk between the top floor of his house in Key West and the spacious study where he wrote, surrounded by his books and memorabilia from his travels. That would be my ideal – somewhere that I could completely disconnect and have time to think, unobserved. I’ve turned our second bedroom into a writing room where I’m able to do that. I usually wake up about 6 a.m., make a pot of coffee, and write for two or three hours before going to work at my day job. And by ‘write’, you understand, I mean both putting words down on a page and ‘thinking about writing’. I do that pretty much seven days a week.

Douglas:  I have always edited as I go and don’t really do much to what I write once it’s been laid down. That, for me, is my failing. What is your process for editing your work? 

      Loree:  You've had three books published, Douglas, so it must be working for you! 

Creative Writing tutors always tell their students to switch off the internal editor when writing their first draft and to just let the words spill out onto the page and lay where they fall, but it’s something I’ve found nearly impossible to do, myself. I tend to edit as I go along, too, sometimes taking whole hours to write a single paragraph. I’m very slow. That’s my failing. Following Hemingway’s example, I read whatever I wrote the previous day, making little tweaks if needed, then continue from there. Once a story is complete, I put it into my metaphorical drawer for a while and move on to something else. Eventually, I’ll go back and redraft. With a short story, I might do fifteen or twenty drafts before I’m satisfied it’s as strong as it can be.

Douglas:  I once won a short story competition and part of the prize was a place on a week-long Arvon course of my choosing. I wasn’t sure about doing the course, but I did. I met a great bunch of people and we have continued to meet up for writing retreats together. They are a great support. Have you ever attended a writing course? If so, what was the course and how valuable was it?

Loree:  I think those sorts of courses are great. There’s something very liberating about being around other writers and creative types because you don’t have to explain yourself. Everyone understands what it’s like – the challenges of the creative life. I once did a three-day residential blacksmithing course at West Dean College, in West Sussex, and it was wonderful to feel fully immersed in that world. My MA was also a wonderfully creative and supportive experience where I really began to feel like a writer. I was part of a very small cohort of about twelve people, and I’m still close to a number of my writing colleagues from that time.

Douglas:  I think I read somewhere that you were doing a PhD (correct me If I am wrong) – and so to a question you asked me: do you think creativity is something that can be taught and if so what was the most important creative lesson you learned?

Loree:  I completed my PhD in 2013. It was a largely independent period of intense study and writing, so didn’t include a taught component – although I did work very closely with my brilliant supervisor, Alison MacLeod. She nudged me in different directions from time to time, but pretty much allowed me to forge my own path. As far as creativity goes, the period where that really blossomed was during my MA. I was fortunate to be tutored by a group of wonderfully talented and inspiring writers at the University of Chichester, who introduced me to authors I probably wouldn’t have discovered on my own. It was also a time to experiment with style and form. As you said, yourself, creativity is something that’s in all of us, so it doesn’t need to be taught. However, it does need nourishing, as you put it, and also coaxing.

Douglas:  My agent has just announced that he will retire at the end of the summer so I will be agentless once again. Do you have an agent and if so, how did you get your agent and what do you think is the value of an agent?

Loree:  No, I don’t have an agent. But I am very keen to get one. I find the idea of having to sell myself – in the sense of convincing publishers that my books and stories are worth their time and money – onerous in the extreme. That side of things messes with the creative space and can be hugely time consuming. I would gladly pay someone else to do that job for me.

Douglas:  Your book, Missing Words, is about a postcard and a mail sorter called Jenny; I believe you once worked in the postal service in some capacity – how important was your experience in writing the book? Do you feel you have to write what you know?

Loree:  Yes, I worked in the Royal Mail sorting office here in Portsmouth for a couple of years, and though it was a very monotonous job, I really enjoyed it. After a while, sorting letters became automatic, so my brain was freed up to think about other things. It was very good for my creativity. And I was good at the job, too, like Jenny. I like stories that include some of the intricacies of a job that can only be described if you know it – or aspects of it – in some detail. So although I don’t think you have to know something, personally, before you can write about it, I do think it helps. It cuts down on the research you have to do to write with authenticity. That’s also why I did the blacksmithing course. I now know what it smells like and sounds like, and how it feels to touch the wrong end of a hot iron bar!  

Douglas:  I have sometimes had people send me bits of their work asking for feedback and advice on how to proceed towards publication. What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Loree:  My advice is always to read the best in whatever field of writing a person wishes to be published in – so they internalise an understanding of what good or great writing looks like. It astonishes me, sometimes, that many people who want to write and publish books don’t really read very much – and aren’t actually interested in reading. That seems quite arrogant to me, as if they are saying they have nothing to learn. I’ve already mentioned my lengthy process of redrafting, but that is something I also find essential. Ultimately, I think every writer has to have a good level of self-belief. So if they’ve done the time – reading, writing, redrafting, etc – and truly believe in what they’ve written, then my advice is to persevere. Keep at it. Keep learning and developing the craft.

Douglas:  I was recently asked to come up with one word to ‘describe’ my book; I cheated and used two. Is there a single word that ‘catches’ the whole of Missing Words?

Loree:  I hate questions like that. How do you reduce a book down to one word? Perhaps it’s one of these: choices, determination, forgiveness, or acceptance? At its core, the story is about ‘communication’, or the lack of it. 

Douglas:  I think you are from America – born and bred? What brought you to the UK and how do you think any of that has influenced your writing?

Loree:  I was born and raised in Idaho, but the summer before I started university, I met a handsome young Englishman riding a beautiful green bicycle. It was love at first sight as far as I was concerned. He spent the rest of the summer with my family, then continued with his cycle tour. When he returned a couple of years later, I was eager to see more of the world. That’s when I dropped out of university. We travelled back and forth a few times, but eventually settled here when I was 23, so I’ve lived here far longer that I lived there.

I think living abroad for so long has allowed me to see the United States from two different perspectives – through the eyes of an insider who understands the whats and whys, and through the eyes of an outsider who at times is absolutely astonished by what she sees. I sometimes feel as though I’ve become stuck in a sort of liminal space between the two countries. Almost every day, someone asks me where I’m from – my accent still gives me away. But when I go back, people I don’t know – people in my hometown – ask if I’m English. It’s frustrating sometimes. On a bad day, I question whether I can ever really belong in either place. Most of the things I’ve written have been set in the States. I’m working on a novel, now, that’s set in the area where I grew up, so I’m often quite consumed by different aspects of American history and the American character. More so, I'm sure, than would have been the case had I remained there.

Douglas:  Do you have other books waiting in the wings? If not, what’s next, after the publication in August of Missing Words?

Loree:  I’m working on what I hope will be the final draft of my PhD novel, the novel I just mentioned. It has quite a complex structure, with multiple viewpoints and two different storylines set in the same place at two different points in history. I sent the first chapters out to agents a few years ago, and a handful of them asked to see the full novel. However, the consensus was that it needed to be simplified, somewhat. So I’ve removed some of the chapters (possibly to be used in a prequel/sequel) and have made the structure a bit more orderly. It feels very much like a puzzle, at the moment. 

I’ve also started a novel that’s partly set in a travelling circus in the early years of the 20th century.

Douglas:  The writer’s life is filled with ‘rejections’ and except for an exalted few is not really so very lucrative. There are so many books in the world, so many voices all talking at once and so very few that are really heard. So, what is it that makes you want to write?

Loree:  I think there are two related, but distinct parts to that question. Firstly, I write because I have thoughts and ideas that I find difficult to express in any other way. I’m not a particularly articulate speaker, especially when speaking off-the-cuff. Writing gives me the time and space to put my words together, properly, the way I want them presented rather than in the haphazard fashion they often tumble from my lips. It’s also a way of exploring those big, philosophical questions about life and the universe and everything else, and of making sense of the world around me. So that’s why I write. The implied part of your question is, I think, not so much about writing as it is about publishing. Like you, I want to leave something behind when I’m gone. I like the idea that there will be ISBNs connected to my name, and that in years to come, something of my time here on earth will still exist.

Douglas:  What’s your relationship with cake and what’s your favourite? Tea or coffee? Wine or beer? And aside from cycling, what other interests do you have?

Loree:  I have a long and fraught relationship with baked goods, and find it close to impossible to resist any type of cake that’s on offer. My favourite would be my grandmother’s zucchini and carrot cake with vanilla and cream cheese frosting. I drink both tea and coffee, but have to doctor tea with milk and sugar. I drink my coffee neat. I’m partial to a glass or two of oaky Shiraz or Malbec, but also enjoy real ales. As for interests other than cycling…, I’m really struggling, here. I’m pretty busy with work and writing, and I’m also active in my church – so there’s not much time for anything else to be honest. Plus, bikes are pretty all-consuming.

~

More information about Loree Westron’s forthcoming novella, MissingWords, can be found by visiting the Fairlight Books website. 

Reviews of Missing Words 

GoodReads

Yorkshire Magazine

Waterstones

Missing Words is available to order, now, at your local bookshop or from the online retailer of your choice.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering historical research on William Clark's Nez Perce son

A Detailed Synopsis of James Welch’s Fools Crow

The Significance of Landscape in Literature of the American West