Post-Publication Whirlwind

The past few weeks, since the publication of Missing Words, have been a bit of a whirlwind and I am struggling to keep up with everything that is happening at the moment. A few days after the online launch with my cohort from Fairlight Moderns I had my very first LIVE book signing at my local independent bookshop – the fabulous Pigeon Books. Even though Covid restrictions have been almost entirely lifted here in the UK, many people – myself included – are not ready throw themselves into a crowded indoor space just yet, so the book signing was a good alternative to a full-on event with a book reading and clinking glasses of champagne. For three hours, I sat as if enthroned in the comfy chair in the window of Pigeon Books while a surprising number people trooped through the door and asked me – ME – to sign copies of my book. It was a wonderful day, with time to chat to friends I hadn’t seen since pre-Covid days, including some I hadn’t seen for years. And more thrilling still were the people I didn’t know who came into the shop to buy the book and have it signed. Phil and Mel, the owners of Pigeon Books, have been immensely supportive and have done a fabulous job of promoting my book to their regulars. How amazing is that!

The signing went so well, in fact, that halfway through the afternoon we ran out of books, but Phil put in an order with his suppliers and a new batch was promptly dispatched. When I popped into the shop the following day to sign the fresh copies, I found Phil still at work promoting my book to one of his customers. And that was one more copy of Missing Words signed and sold!

Since the signing, I’ve had a number of people approach me with further opportunities to promote the book and my other writing, including the good people behind the Portsmouth Literary Map. Would I like to have a marker placed on the map at a location that features in my book? I didn’t hesitate – and asked for the marker to be placed on the old Royal Mail Sorting Office on Slindon Street. They also requested a video recording with a short reading, and hopefully that, too, will soon be available on their website.

This weekend, the Victorious Festival has descended on Southsea, and the air along the seafront is buzzing with all types of music, from acoustic folk/rock to R&B. Last night, Rag’n’Bone Man and the Streets took the main stage, and tonight it will be Nile Rogers & Chic. But while folks are enjoying the music, I’ll be at the opposite end of the festival grounds, taking part in the Literacy Tent’s open mic session, with a short reading from Missing Words. This was yet another opportunity that came up unexpectedly, and one I couldn’t let pass me by. Wish me luck!

Then, in the October edition of the glossy lifestyle magazine, Waterside, the author spotlight will be turned on…wait for it…me! Yes, it’s all happening at the moment. I have no idea how long the excitement of publishing my first novel will last, but it’s been a thrilling ride so far and I’m determined to make the most of it. 

Thanks for coming along and being part of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering historical research on William Clark's Nez Perce son

A Detailed Synopsis of James Welch’s Fools Crow

The Significance of Landscape in Literature of the American West